Monday, March 7, 2011

A Diagnosis For My Precious Tay Tay.....


Okay, so today was the day for the appointment with Taylor's rheumatologist in St. Pete, at All Children's Hospital. In attendance was me (of course!), ex-hubby, and my daddy. First, I want to thank my daddy for taking the time out of his very busy schedule, to be there to support Frank and I, and Taylor. And for being there to be a third voice, third ear to take in the information given, and to help us in making the tough decisions we had to make. I also want to thank ex-hubby for supporting me in the decision to take Taylor to a doctor so far away, making the drive for us, paying for the (expensive!) gas, and treating us to lunches each visit there. Thank you, momma and daddy, for supporting my "motherly instinct" that this was very serious, and that extreme, unrelenting measures needed to be taken, to protect my baby. I love you all so much.

The appointment began as usual, going over Taylor's case AGAIN, and the symptoms he was experiencing that kept him out of school all week last week. We went over what differentiates Acute Rheumatic Fever from Post Strep Reactive Arthritis. The answer was - not much! They both have the exact same symptoms in the beginning, making it almost impossible to give a child a 100% diagnosis of Acute Rheumatic Fever. The only way to know for sure, it to wait for the heart damage to occur, which is not an option! The thing is though, children with rheumatic fever receive treatment to, among other things, prevent heart damage. Well, children with Post Strep Reactive Arthritis are also at increased risk of heart damage, with subsequent strep infections! So either way - Either diagnosis - Treatment should be given! This was the information that I've known, and needed someone to realize.

Anyway, to continue.... Taylor has most all of the indicators of Rheumatic Fever, and with that fact, combined with the heart murmur, and minor heart valve damage that could be an indicator, they have diagnosed Taylor with Acute Rheumatic Fever. This is not a good thing, of course. There are worries. But there are worries with any serious diagnosis. What is important is that Taylor will now be receiving treatment, and will be protected. They have put him on Amoxicillin for 10 days, to make sure there is not any of the strep infection still present. After 10 days he will begin the RF treatment of a high dose of Penicillin. This can be given in pill form, twice a day or in monthly shots. This will continue for two to seven years, or possibly until he's 21. For now we have chosen the pill form, but we CAN NOT miss a pill, so we will see how it goes, and may switch to the shots, if we find that to be the best option. They also have him on a higher dose of Naproxin, twice a day, and a medication to protect his stomach from the daily Naproxin. So far the Naproxin has not touched his pain, but we'll try their recommendation of a higher dose, and if that doesn't control the pain, then we will have them switch him to a different medication.

I thank God so much for giving me the insight, from the beginning, of what this was, so I knew to push the doctors to take his case seriously, and not to listen to the horrible Dr. Pierre that "there was nothing else that could be done". I praise God that he protected my son through this 8 month process of finding a diagnosis, and that He gave the doctor wisdom to make tough decisions on a tough case. I praise God for Taylor being under HIS protection, and now being protected medically, as well. And I praise Him, in advance, for the healing that WILL begin to occur in Taylor's body and His continued cover over him. Thank you, Jesus!

Side note: Rheumatic fever is not contagious, but his brothers are at risk, because it is hereditary. I have to have a strep culture done on all of the boys, and I have to keep a close eye out for symptoms of RF in them. They can not share drinks, we have to be careful to keep toothbrushes separate, etc. But above all, God is in control, so I will be wise - but I will not live in fear.

Right now I finally feel comfort, peace, and confidence in the plan that has been set in place for Taylor. I pray peace over my son, to know that his pain WILL end, and this WILL eventually be over. There's a long road ahead of us, but God is walking it with us, guiding us, and strengthening us. Thank you so very much to all who have kept Taylor in your prayers, and all who continue to.

Love, Thanks, and Blessings,
Ginger xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment