Tuesday, March 29, 2011

"Mommy.... I know it's bedtime, but can I ask you a question?"


As you know, I have four little boys. They are on a schedule, and go to bed at 7pm. Oh yes - 7pm! Ever since they were little babies. So, 6:30pm rolls around, teeth are brushed, clothes are picked out for the next morning, devotion time is done, and we pray together. Then I go around to each one, hug and kiss on them, tell them how much I love them, and pray again, over each one individually. Now it's 7pm.... "Momma time!" But as I am about to leave the room, there come the questions.... Questions about God, and life....

In my head... "Ohhh AGAIN! Stalling tactics at bedtime!" But I go back in, sit on one of their beds, and listen to their questions. A few nights ago it was, "Mommy, I've been wondering.... How did Jesus die? And how did He become alive again? If He's in Heaven, doesn't that mean He is dead, because dead people are in Heaven? I don't understand that part..." It's very rational, and much easier, to say "Boys... I just put you in bed.... Let's talk about this when it's NOT bedtime!" But as much as these are stall tactics, they are also important times, when I have their full attention. They are also times when memories are being made. Special times, of special talks, about things that at any other time, they might not open up about. They are hungry to know Jesus! And to spend time with momma.

So I plop back onto one of their beds, and the conversations begin... I explain the answers, which leads to more questions, honest, pure thoughts, that come flowing out of their mouths. And I have a captive audience, who wants to know more about Jesus, and talk about life - things that kids usually don't open up about in the middle of the day! Sometimes this can go on for over an hour! What could be a frustrating time of "Why are you not asleep!" Turns into precious conversations, quality time together, and memories being made. It's awesome to have your children open up to you. Bedtime or no bedtime - I CHERISH this time we spend together, just talking. We DO start our nightly devotion time a little earlier these days, so there is time to talk, but a lot of the time, they are still too wound up from the day, to be at ease, and let the honest thoughts flow out.

So I think my point is - whatever that time is, which will most likely be the most inconvenient time for us mommas, that your children want to talk... STOP - and LISTEN! Children, especially at the ages of my oldest two - 10 and 9 - don't always speak what's on their mind. So whenever they open up and decide to start talking, or asking questions - stop what you're doing and listen! And answer all their questions. Once they get talking, a lot of things can flow out from there. You've got a child, or children, open, receptive, and ready to open up, and to listen! Take full advantage of this precious time. They grow up so fast, and soon you'll be longing for those late night bedtime conversations! Enjoy every moment with your children. You are making memories that are WAY more precious than any "mommy time"! :)

Love and Blessings!

XOXO, Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment